Friday, November 6, 2009

Soy What?

Friday, November 6, 2009
I'm not a big fan of soy such as soy milk. You hear often as women enter menopause, one should eat lots of soy. I feel it is incumbent on me to demystify the differences in soy products. As I've already touched on in previous posts, there's good and bad in everything.

While completing all my chemistry classes in school, I really did not appreciate it as much as I do today. Food combination is key to getting the most benefit from the foods you eat. I've always been concerned of what I eat, but never how my food goes together. For instance with, coffee, black tea, chocolate, even fruit, etc., in order for your body to soak up the natural antioxidants, they should not have milk in them. It's the milk that actually cancels out the antioxidants from these beverages and foods. That's why dark chocolate is better for you than milk chocolate. I know a lot of people that say, "well, it doesn't do anything for me..." and that's because they're not drinking or eating it in it's most basic, raw and pure form and/or consuming these drinks and food with complementary food to enhance it's flavonoid properties (eg. almonds and cocoa, dark chocolate combines well with protein, so eating dark chocolate with nuts provides a flavonoid-rich morsel).

Ok, where was I going with this? Actually, I wanted to show how becoming more aware of your food, other than satisfying hunger, can have a significant impact on getting the most nutritional bang for your grub.

Back to the topic of this post... The soy products you want to avoid are the genetically modified soybeans that are all high in phytic acid. It's the phytic acid that can block the complete intake of essential minerals like calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and zinc in the intestinal tract. However, fermented soy products, which I like a lot like miso soup (fermented tofu), tempeh, natto (soy beans) and brewed soy sauce, found primarily in the Far East diets, is what you want to look for in relieving the annoying symptoms associated with menopause (i.e. hot flashes, night sweats, irritability, bone loss, dry skin, etc.).

So the next time you visit a health food store, check out these cultured soy foods and give them a try.

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin