Sunday, August 9, 2009

Ruth's Italian Spaghetti

Sunday, August 9, 2009
I have tried a lot of different variations of spaghetti, however, I still prefer a recipe I received from a good friend when I was 9 years old.  I'll call this Ruth's Italian Spaghetti, since it originally came from the Mother of my friend.  I have modified it slightly as I'm not a fan of bacon fat and jarred mushrooms.  Even so, it still tastes just as good AND it has become hubby's favorite spaghetti sauce.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
1 lb ground beef
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 minced green pepper
3 1/2 cups diced tomatoes
2 cups tomato sauce
1 cup vegetable broth or any broth you have on hand (sometimes I add 1/4 cup of red wine along with 3/4 cups broth)
6 oz sliced fresh crimini mushrooms
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried sage
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp oregano
1 bay leaf
1 cup of water

Instructions:
Cook onion until tender in oil.  Add meat and cook until it loses red color, add all other ingredients.  Cook very slow for 1 1/2 hours uncovered.  Serve over spaghetti.  Add a toss salad and garlic bread.  Enjoy!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ruth's spaghetti sauce looks promising to me. I am going to try it out myself although it seems to consist of quite some ingredients.

But tell me ....... who the hell is HUBBY ? Let me guess !

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin