Sunday, March 22, 2009

A Telling Test

Sunday, March 22, 2009
Yesterday, I tested Sophie to see how well she listens.  This comes about after many months noticing that when her gymnastics teacher is talking and giving instructions on what they're supposed to do, Sophie always appears to be doing everything else, but listening.   To my surprise, not only did she listen very well she answered the questions correctly.  Answers we all know the answers to but will inevitably answer incorrectly.   

I'm sure some of you will recognize these listening games:

The first test was as follows:
She had to repeat the word "silk" 10 times fairly swift.
Then I asked her, "what do cow's eat?"
She answered "grass"....bingo, she stunned the heck out of me as most people answer "milk."

So, I thought, just a lucky shot.  Let's try it again.

The next test:
I had her repeat words that rhymed with "Stop."  I went through the whole alphabet and so I had her repeat approximately 26 words in all that rhymed with "stop."
Then I asked her, "what do you do when you see a green light?"
She answered "go"....here again she dumbfounded me with the fact she answered the question correctly when so many other people will answer "stop."

Well, Sophie was getting a kick out of answering the questions correctly; she kept saying, "more, more, Momma, I like it, I like it."

You know what?  Already, I can see Sophie gets anguished by injustice, cruelty, or irresponsibility.  She's the only one I know that will pick up items laying on the floor at a store and put them back on the shelf so they do not get damaged.  And will loudly speak out with much drama exclaiming, "who did this!"  She's amazingly caring and kind, always thinking about what is happening with other people.  And a real Sherlock Holmes about noticing the subtleties most people miss.

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin