Wednesday, April 8, 2009

My Little Granola

Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Sophie is definitely not your typical 5 year old.  This morning for breakfast I brought out the Organic Flax Plus Granola cereal with Pumpkin Seeds from the pantry.  To my utter amazement, Sophie runs over to me with a big smile on her face, hugs me tightly and tells me, "yeeeeeaaaahhhhh that's my favorite, how did you know!!"   

You know, she's never really liked Cheerios or any other "kid friendly" cereal.  If I give her a choice between milk chocolate or dark chocolate, she always goes for the dark.  I prefer milk chocholate, but will instead eat dark because of the flavonoids and antioxidants.  Just make sure you get the dark chocolate with the flavonoids; there are some where they actually remove it.  And, it's this compound that will help keep the cholesterol from sticking to your blood vessels providing better flow to your heart.  The cocoa in dark chocolate has a high ORAC value of 1000 compared to milk chocolate which has an ORAC value of 71.  

I think Sophie is beginning to understand the correlation in eating healthy and how it affects your health in a very visual way. Occasionally, she'll want to check her body's pH to see if it's yellow (acidic) or green (alkaline).  I believe pH strips are important to have on hand in your medicine cabinet as much as bandages.  Sophie is usually alkaline, but occasionally she will be yellow after eating "junk food."  But because she's fairly healthy, her pH will quickly return in the alkaline range after eating some watermelon, figs or other fruits and vegetables and/or drinking ionized water.  Monitoring your body pH (not blood pH) is something I wish I would have known about when I was younger.  It truly makes a positive difference in your health if you are alkaline.

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin