Monday, April 6, 2009

Things are Warming Up

Monday, April 6, 2009
It turned out to be a warm, clear, sunshiny day with a high of 66 degrees F.  However, Sophie and I are still unthawing from last week's winter storms.  We were probably the only two looneys still wearing our winter coats while out and about.  

I blame my tendency to be cold all the time due to a lack of iodine.  Supposedly, there are many of us, of all ages, walking around with an impaired thyroid.  The thyroid gland is an important endocrine gland that is the base of all bodily functions; it regulates the metabolism in every cell of our body.  There's an old medical saying that says "a few grains of thyroid hormone can make a difference between an idiot and an Einstein."  Who knew?  

Based on what I've been told, a good way to test if you're lacking this important mineral is to rub a couple of drops (of iodine) on your skin, and if it vanishes instantly then that's a clear sign you're deficient. 
 
I won't go into the particulars, unless you want me to but, I believe the detoxified iodine I've been applying topically is actually correcting my thyroid.  Not only in relieving some hormone/progesterone/testosterone imbalances, but I've been checking my temperature occasionally to see if I'm warming up, first thing in the AM before getting out of bed.  And, it is getting closer to the normal range of 97.8 to 98.7 degrees F.  

When I first started taking my temperature, I was shocked to see how low it was over a period of 5 days, which suggests low thyroid function.  Having normal body temperature is something you never really think about as a way to improve your health.  But, as with everything you never want to exaggerate one way or the other.  Same with your basal temperature, it shouldn't be too low or too high.   Moderation is definitely key, when it comes to quality health and feeling comfortable.  

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin